1. Job Details
Job Title: Dispensing Technician
Responsible to: Pharmacist Manager or Pharmacist
2. Job Purpose
To carry out dispensing duties under the supervision of a qualified pharmacist and to supervise the work of other members of staff (where applicable).
NVQ3 Pharmacy Services or equivalent.
4. Main Tasks
- To provide courteous, confidential, and professional service to all pharmacy customers.
- To ensure all prescriptions are dispensed accurately and in a timely manner.
- To maintain a high standard of appearance of the pharmacy.
- To monitor stock levels and adapt orders appropriately.
- To carry out dispensary administrative tasks, where applicable.
- To supervise the work of others and delegate tasks and roles, as applicable.
- To adhere to Company Standard Operating Procedures and policies, Health and Safety regulations and legal and ethical requirements affecting pharmacy.
5. Specific Duties (continued)
- Perform diagnostic tests or health check assessments (if trained so to do), including the recalibration and maintenance of the equipment used.
- Participate in PCT schemes, where applicable.
- Where authorised, complete all end of day / month paperwork in a timely manner. This may include preparing prescriptions for submission to the PPD, the branch report and PCT claim forms.
- Supervise and co-ordinate the work of other members of dispensary and/or pharmacy staff where applicable and authorised.
- Respond appropriately to customer needs, politely and efficiently, by asking appropriate questions, following the Standard Operating Procedures for Sale of Medicines and Supporting Self-care, recording advice on customers’ patient medication records (PMR) when applicable and taking appropriate action if a product is not available.
- Refer customers on to other healthcare professionals, including the pharmacist, following the Standard Operating Procedure for Sign-Posting and recording details on their PMR, where appropriate.
- Advise on healthy lifestyles, giving accurate up-to-date information, following the Standard Operating Procedure for Promotion of Healthy Lifestyles, recording advice on the customer’s PMR.
- Make sales in accordance with the Company security rules regarding the use of the till, checking bank notes and processing card transactions.
- Complete other sales duties in accordance with Pharmacy Assistant job description.
- Follow COSHH regulations at all times and be able to recognise and handle hazardous goods.
- Handle returned medicines, waste and rubbish appropriately, dealing with spillage and debris efficiently and appropriately.
- Carry out good housekeeping procedures regularly and effectively maintaining the appearance of the shop and other areas.
- Undergo additional training, where required, to become involved in PCT schemes.
- Undertake Continuing Professional Development to update knowledge, if registered with RPSGB.
The Company expects all employees to work to the best of their ability, showing enthusiasm, assisting fellow employees and endeavouring to maintain a high standard of work ethics and commitment.
All employees should have a good working knowledge of the Company’s Standard Operating Procedures and policies (including Code of Conduct, Data Protection and Confidentiality, Health and Safety regulations), working practices and the legal and ethical requirements affecting pharmacy relevant to their role. These should be followed at all times.
All employees are expected to show interest in furthering knowledge and be willing to attend training courses as requested by management or the training officer.
All employees are expected to make every effort to maintain good teamwork, discussing difficulties and working relationships promptly with the Pharmacist Manager or Line Manager.
This job description sets out the current duties of the Dispensing Technician that may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the position or the level of responsibility entailed.