1. Job Details
Job Title : Pharmacy Assistant
Responsible to : Pharmacist Manager
2. Job Purpose
To assist the Pharmacist Manager in the retail operation of the pharmacy.
MCA (Pharmacy Assistant)
4. Main Tasks
- To provide a high standard of customer service, in order to attract and retain customers
- To promote products and services, in order to maximise branch sales
- To manage OTC stock effectively
- To provide expert medicine and health advice, appropriate to the level of training and qualification
- To deliver professional, enhanced and advanced services appropriate to the level of training received
- Keyholder duties as nominated, including opening and locking up, and call out duties
- To assist the manager with administrative and general housekeeping tasks, and other duties as requested
- Maintain patient confidentiality
5. Specific Duties
Provide a High Standard of Customer Service
- To acknowledge customers promptly upon entering the branch
- To serve customers politely and efficiently, responding appropriately to customer needs and taking appropriate action if a complaint or if a product is not available.
- To set and manage customer expectations, regarding the level of service we can reasonably offer
- Demonstrate a good knowledge of products and services offered
- Make sales in accordance with the company security procedures
- Manage Stock
- Receive incoming stock and store it correctly, completing documentation, minimising damage and effectively rotating stock to minimise expired stock, notifying suppliers of any discrepancies.
- Maintain stock, checking levels and preparing orders as required; amending computer-generated orders; ensuring adequate stock levels and pricing stock at the current Company selling price.
Promote Products and Services
- Be an ambassador for the company and the products and services we offer
- Take advantage of opportunities to maximise sales, eg linked sales, upgrades to P medicines and larger packs
- Arrange window and in-store displays, appropriate to the season and Company co-ordinated promotions.
- Merchandise the store appropriately, including promotions and POS materials
- Develop additional and specialist product expertise in nominated product areas
- Understand and meet individual and branch targets
Provide Health Advice, Products and Services
- Receive and check in prescriptions, ensuring details are legible and complete and collecting appropriate levy or verifying exemption.
- Provide medicine recommendations, appropriate to the level of training received
- Advise on healthy lifestyles, giving accurate up-to-date information
- Respond appropriately to queries about local enhanced services
- Refer customers on to other healthcare professionals, including the pharmacist, following the Standard Operating Procedure for Sign-Posting
- Record relevant information on customers’ patient medication records (PMR) when applicable
- To provide support in the dispensary as directed by the Pharmacist appropriate to the qualifications and training received
Administration and General Housekeeping
- Carry out good housekeeping procedures regularly and effectively, including duties on any cleaning rota
- Perform cashing up and banking duties
- Clear up spills and leakages safely
- Complete administrative paperwork in a timely and accurate manner as instructed by the branch Manager or supervisor
- Maintain a clean and attractive appearance of the shop and other areas
- Assist in the training and development of staff within the branch
The Company expects all employees to work to the best of their ability, showing enthusiasm, assisting fellow employees and endeavouring to maintain a high standard of work ethics and commitment.
All employees should have a good working knowledge of the company’s Standard Operating Procedures and Policies (including Code of Conduct, Health and Safety regulations), working practises and the legal and ethical requirements affecting pharmacy relevant to their role. These policies and procedures should be followed at all times.
All employees are expected to show interest in furthering knowledge and be willing to attend training courses as requested by management or the training officer.
All employees are expected to make every effort to maintain good teamwork, discussing difficulties and working relationships promptly with their Supervisor or Manager.
This job description sets out the current duties of the Pharmacy Assistant that may vary from time to time without changing the general character of the position or the level of responsibility entailed.